Accommodations are determined through an individualized interactive process that identifies the disability support(s) that may be needed and are appropriate for each student based on the functional limitations of their disability and the presenting access barrier(s) in the postsecondary educational environment. The goal is to achieve equal access and full, inclusive participation.
An initial intake appointment is offered to all students who submit a “Request for Services” registration form along with documentation of their disability through our secure Accommodate software portal online. An accommodation letter is created upon completion of the registration, intake meeting, and accommodation approval by an SDS disability specialist.
Registration assistance is available through contacting the SDS office via phone at (410) 455-2459 or by email at disABILITY@umbc.edu.
The following services and accommodations may be provided by SDS dependent on a student’s individual access challenges. This is not an all inclusive list.
- Placement Testing Accommodations
- Accommodated Testing/Exam Administration and Proctoring
- Note-Taking Assistance (exs., Sonocent/Glean audio notetaking, Echo Smartpens)
- Interpreting/Transcribing services
- Alternate format course materials (for printed or inaccessible text)
- Assistive technology (ex., Jaws, Read & Write Gold, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Kurzweil software are all available to use on campus)
- Accessible Housing & Related Housing Accommodations
- Disability advocacy and advising
*Please note: SDS does not provide personal assistance to students such as carrying books, loans of wheelchairs or crutches, golf carts for transport, personal attendants, executive function coaching support, or other travel assistance support to classrooms, residence halls, bus stops and/or parking facilities.
The SDS office does not provide tutoring as tutoring is not an accommodation, but SDS works closely with UMBC’s Academic Success Center (formerly the Learning Resources Center) that offers tutoring support.