While UMBC conducts all classes remotely due to COVID-19 restrictions, there will be no tests proctored physically at SDS. Accommodations will be delivered remotely online, or directly by instructors in the case of face to face classes. This means that you do not need to schedule your exams in Accommodate during the Fall 2020 semester.
For current UMBC students with accommodations, all testing arrangements should be made directly with your instructor. UMBC instructors can provide extended time in Blackboard and other online testing platforms.
**Please email your instructor with at least two business days’ advance notice to remind them to set your extended time for any timed online quizzes or exams. If you are in a face to face hybrid course that will require in-person tests or quizzes, please communicate directly with your instructor about their arrangements for testing accommodations.
For students registered with SDS, testing accommodations remain in effect during remote teaching and testing. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have been unable to reach your instructor about your testing accommodations, or if you have questions about how to request and utilize your testing accommodations.
SDS staff are working remotely 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday thru Friday. Please let us know right away at email@example.com if you have any trouble accessing your testing accommodations in your classes. Please include specific information, especially the name of your course and instructor.
The information below is temporarily not in effect during the Fall 2020 semester. It is preserved here for when the UMBC campus physically reopens after COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
**Important: before scheduling your test in SDS, you must notify your instructor that you plan to take your test at SDS.**
Each time you schedule an accommodated test or quiz, you must notify both your instructor (via email or face to face) and SDS (via Accommodate). It is best to email your instructor with the date and time you wish to schedule the test, and if it is a different time than the rest of the class is taking the exam, give the instructor a detailed explanation of why you need to take the test at a different time.
When requesting an alternate time or date, follow up to get your instructor’s approval for your proposed time/date or make an alternate plan that your instructor can approve. If you schedule and take an exam at SDS at a time not approved by your instructor, the instructor may refuse to accept the exam. *It is very important to verify your instructor’s approval of any alternate testing dates or times. This is the responsibility of the examinee. If you are unable to reach your instructor after several attempts, please ask SDS staff for assistance in contacting your instructor.
**Remember: all test bookings must be made 2 business days in advance of the time you intend to take the test in SDS.**
To schedule a test in Accommodate: click on the icon under “Student Accommodate Login” located on the left sidebar of the SDS webpage. This will log you into Accommodate. If you are using a screen reader, click here.
- On the Accommodate main page, click on the left side menu item “Testing Room”.
- Click on the button (bottom left) that says “New Booking Request”.
- Choose the course for which you want to schedule the test from the course pull-down menu.
- Click “Select” to choose the date you want to schedule the test. Leave the building and room boxes blank. Follow any on-screen directions that may apply to you.
- Scroll down to click on the “Refine Results” button.
- On the right of the screen, see the times and rooms listed under your date. Click on the room number next to the time you want to start your test.
- In the Exam Booking pop-up window,
- Enter your instructor’s name in the Professor text box. (e.g., “Dr. Sandy Smith” or “Stephen Doe”)
- Click “yes” or “no” for whether your test time will overlap with the time the rest of the class is taking it.
- If “no”, indicate whether you have received written permission from your professor to take your test at a different time than the class. Then, you must send a copy of that email to disAbility@umbc.edu.
- In the “Notes” box, write anything else you think we need to know about your exam. In particular, please note if you need specialized software, a large print exam, a reader and/or a scribe.
- Click “Submit Request.”
If you are experiencing difficulties scheduling exams or have questions, please contact us at 410-455-2459 or disAbility@umbc.eduRegular Semester On-campus Testing Hours Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Wednesdays & Thursdays Only, Testing until 7:00 pm* (*evening testing hours are only for tests scheduled at least 2 business days in advance, if no tests are scheduled by the deadline, testing will close at 4:30 pm.)