TESTING OPERATIONS 2022:
SDS will be proctoring in-person accommodated tests for FACE-to-FACE in-person courses.
NOTE: SDS Testing seating is at a reduced capacity to maintain public health and safety. Book your test appointments well in advance.
Mask wearing in the shared space testing rooms is required for the health of our immunocompromised students.
*SDS may not have availability for all students seeking SDS proctoring to take their tests at the same as their class and may need to discuss alternative testing solutions with their instructors and an SDS staff person.*
For ONLINE-ONLY Courses:
Instructors will set up extended-time testing accommodations in their remote testing platforms (e.g. Blackboard).
Students should notify instructors of any needed testing accommodations or alternatives at least 2 business days prior to each test date.
SDS staff are available 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday thru Friday to assist you via phone and email.
Please let us know right away at disAbility@umbc.edu if you have any trouble utilizing your testing accommodations in your classes.
Please include specific information, i.e. the name of your course, instructor, test date and time.SDS Accommodated Testing Hours Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm For Shady Grove campus accommodated testing, scroll down.
Placement Testing Accommodations:
Incoming new or current students who would like to request accommodations on a placement test due to documented disability must first register with SDS.
Testing accommodations will be determined by an SDS Disability Specialist and communicated to the Academic Success Center (ASC) who administers UMBC’s placement tests.
Please register with SDS at least 2 weeks prior to your Placement Testing window date.
Note: Placement exams cannot be scheduled through the online SDS Accommodate portal.
Test Booking and Administration:
For new or transfer students, in order to receive testing accommodations, students must register with SDS, engage in an intake appointment, and be approved for accommodations.
Every semester a student is enrolled and would like to utilize accommodated testing, they must submit a Semester Request so that their instructors are notified of their approved testing accommodations.
SDS encourages scheduling all quizzes and exams as soon as they are known; the course syllabus often has all dates listed for the entire semester.
Each time a student schedules an exam with SDS they must also notify their instructor.
Please note: UMBC SDS test scheduling requests must be submitted with two business days advance notice online through the student portal Accommodate!
Two business day advance scheduling ensures testing space/seat availability and allows time for SDS to receive the quizzes/tests from the instructors.
If your exam is on: Please schedule your exam by the prior:
Monday Thursday at 4:00 pm
Tuesday Friday at 4:00 pm
Wednesday Monday at 4:00 pm
Thursday Tuesday at 4:00 pm
Friday Wednesday at 4:00 pm
**Shady Grove Students**: Test Booking and Administration: To take a quiz/exam at Shady Grove, allow one-week advance notice, and please click on the link Taking a Quiz/Exam with SDS at Shady Grove.
SDS Test Administration POLICIES (Main Campus):
- Only SDS students who have been approved for testing accommodations and have a current Semester Request on file can schedule tests at SDS.
- Examinees are responsible for scheduling testing appointments with 2 business days advance notice and notifying instructors of test dates.
- Your SDS proctored exams must be scheduled during the same time as the class, or as stated in an email from the instructor or posted schedule.
- In cases where class schedules or final exams conflict with taking the test at the same time as the class, examinees must request written permission from the instructor for a proposed alternate time/date.
- If you have evening exams, please discuss them with your instructor since SDS proctoring hours may not be available at the same time as the test.
- Books, coats, backpacks, phones, smartwatches, and other personal items must be stored in SDS main office or the M/P 2nd floor lockers.
- Mobile phones or other internet-capable or Bluetooth devices are NOT allowed in the test rooms. They must be turned off prior to entering the testing room and stored in the SDS main office or lockers.
- Arrive on time. Arrivals after 15 minutes late for regular quizzes/exams and 30 minutes late for finals may be considered “no show” and may only reschedule with permission from your instructor.
- All food, candy or gum, and tobacco are prohibited in the testing room. Covered drinks may be allowed.
- Allowable materials in the testing room are those authorized by the instructor or disability specialist. Hats, scarves, wallets, pen cases, or other personal items are prohibited from your testing area.
- The testing room must be quiet at all times.
- All testing materials including the test packet, note sheets, formula sheets, tables, scratch-offs, and scratch paper must be turned in to SDS staff upon test completion.
- Testing must be completed by the posted closing hours for testing for each day. If you arrive late for your appointment and SDS closes, you may lose time.
- If an SDS test proctor has reason to believe that a student is cheating during testing, the proctor will take the test and all materials. The incident will be documented and the instructor notified immediately.
Find test scheduling instructions here.