For urgent test accommodation questions during finals May 14, 15, 18, 19, & 20, please email disAbility@umbc.edu or call 443-297-9314 and say your name for the call to go through via Google Voice.
While UMBC conducts all classes remotely due to COVID-19 restrictions, there will be no tests proctored physically at SDS. Accommodations will be delivered remotely online.
For new or transfer students, please follow the instructions below to register with SDS to request placement testing accommodations. Registration, intake, and placement testing will be conducted online.
For current UMBC students with accommodations, all testing arrangements should be made directly with your instructor. UMBC instructors can provide extended time in Blackboard and other online testing platforms. **Please email your instructor to remind them to set your extended time for any timed online quizzes or exams.
Testing accommodations are still in effect. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have been unable to reach your instructor about your testing accommodations, or if you have questions about how to utilize your testing accommodations in an online testing environment.
SDS staff are working remotely 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday thru Friday. Please let us know right away at email@example.com if you have any trouble accessing your testing accommodations in your online classes. Please include specific information, especially the name of your course and instructor.
Placement Testing Accommodations:
Incoming new or current students who would like to request accommodations on a placement test due to documented disability must first register with SDS. Testing accommodations will be determined by a Disability Specialist and communicated to the Academic Success Center (ASC) who administers UMBC’s placement tests. Please register with SDS at least 2 weeks prior to your Placement Testing window date. Note: placement exams cannot be scheduled through the SDS Accommodate portal.
The information below this line is preserved for when the UMBC campus physically re-opens after the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
Test Booking and Administration
Shady Grove Students: To take a quiz/exam at Shady Grove, allow one week advance notice and please click on the link Taking a Quiz/Exam with SDS at Shady Grove.
Please note! UMBC SDS test scheduling requests must be submitted with two business days advance notice online through Accommodate.
Two business day advance scheduling ensures testing space availability and allows time for SDS to receive the quizzes/tests from the instructors. SDS encourages scheduling all quizzes and exams as soon as they are known; the course syllabus often has all dates listed for the semester. Each time a student schedules an exam with SDS they must also notify their instructor.Regular SDS Office Testing Hours Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Wednesdays & Thursdays Only, Testing until 7:00 pm* (Ends May 7) (*evening testing hours are only for tests scheduled at least 2 business days in advance, if no tests are scheduled by the deadline, testing will close at 4:30 pm.)
If your exam is on: Please schedule your exam by the prior:
Monday Thursday at 4:00 pm
Tuesday Friday at 4:00 pm
Wednesday Monday at 4:00 pm
Thursday Tuesday at 4:00 pm
Friday Wednesday at 4:00 pm
Test Administration Policies:
- Only students who have been approved for testing accommodations, and who have a current semester request on file can schedule tests at SDS.
- Examinees are responsible for scheduling testing appointments with 2 business days’ advance notice and notifying instructors of test dates.
- Your SDS proctored exams must be scheduled during the same time as the class, or as stated in the appropriate official schedule.
- In cases where class schedules or final exams conflict with taking the test at the same time as the class, examinees must request written permission from the instructor for a proposed alternate time/date.
- If you have evening exams, please discuss with your instructor and contact the SDS office for alternate arrangements if needed.
- Books, coats, backpacks, phones, smart watches, and other personal items must be stored in SDS main office or the M/P 2nd floor lockers.
- Mobile phones or other internet-capable or bluetooth devices are never allowed in the test rooms. They must be turned off prior to entering the testing room and stored in the SDS main office or lockers.
- Arrive on time. Arrivals after 15 minutes late for regular quizzes/exams and 30 minutes late for finals may be considered “no show” and may only reschedule with the permission from your instructor.
- All food, wrapped candy or gum, and tobacco are prohibited in the testing room. Covered drinks may be allowed.
- Allowable materials in the testing room are those authorized by the instructor or disability specialist. Hats, scarves, wallets, pen cases, or other personal items are prohibited from your testing area.
- The testing room must be quiet at all times.
- All testing materials including the test packet, note sheets, formula sheets, tables, scratch offs and scratch paper must be turned into SDS staff upon test completion.
- Testing must be completed by the posted closing hours for testing for each day.
- If an SDS test proctor has reason to believe that a student is cheating during testing, the proctor will take the test and all materials. The incident will be documented and the instructor notified immediately.
Find test scheduling instructions here.