Although students who have disabilities are not required to register with Student Disability Services (SDS), those who wish to use accommodations must be registered with SDS. Students are encouraged to contact SDS upon admission to UMBC, prior to course registration when possible.
1. To begin your registration process for Student Disability Services, complete the Student Disability Services Request for Services Form. The form is available on the SDS website but hard copies are also available in the SDS office. Eligibility must be established before services can be provided.
2. Return the Request For Services Form with a copy of your documentation of disability from an appropriately qualified provider.
SDS reviews documentation of disability on a case-by-case basis. However, acceptable documentation should be current and reflect the following:
The credentials of the evaluator
A specific diagnosis
The diagnostic methodology used
The current functional impact on the individual
The expected progression or stability of the disability
Current and past accommodations, services, and/or medications
Recommendations for academic or housing accommodations and services
If you are requesting accommodations because of a temporary condition or medical injury the Temporary Condition/Injury Form can be used for medical verification.
3. You can submit your registration form and supporting documentation by delivering it in person or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. When the registration form and documentation are received, they will be reviewed by the SDS Disability Specialist. Please allow up to 2 weeks processing time as we have many files to review.
5. Once your eligibility to receive services is approved, you will receive an emailed Welcome letter with instructions on how to schedule an intake appointment. This can be done any time after your eligibility is approved. If you live in the area or will be visiting the campus, we would strongly recommend you to set up this meeting before arriving on campus to begin classes.
At the intake appointment you will discuss:
- Appropriate accommodations and services
- Campus and local resources
- SDS policies and procedures
- Student responsibilities
Students are welcome to meet with the SDS staff by appointment. We are always here to help and work with you to answer questions and provide resources or information to help you achieve your academic goals.
*Students that need accommodations at UMBC-Shady Grove campus may have different procedures please click on Applying for Accommodations at Shady Grove if this applies to you.
If you have any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to contact Student Disability Services. We look forward to working with you.