Although students who have disabilities are not required to register with Student Disability Services (SDS), those who wish to use accommodations must be registered with SDS. Students are encouraged to contact SDS upon admission to UMBC to begin the registration process prior to their placement testing date when possible.
1. To begin your registration process for Student Disability Services, go to the Request For Services Intake online form. At the end of that form, there is a place to upload a copy of your documentation of disability/diagnosis from an appropriately qualified provider. If you prefer to submit your documentation in another way, please see number 2, below. Eligibility must be established before services can be provided.
Disability documentation should reflect the following:
- The credentials of the evaluator
- A specific diagnosis on the evaluator’s/agency letterhead
- The diagnostic methodology used/assessment method
- The functional impact on the individual
- The expected progression or stability of the disability
- Current and past accommodations, services, and/or treatment plan
- Specific recommendations for academic or housing accommodations
If you are requesting accommodations due to a temporary condition or medical injury, you can download the Temporary Condition/Injury Form for medical verification. This form can supplement the online Request for Services Intake form, but does not replace it.
3. Once the registration form and documentation are received, they will be reviewed by the SDS Disability Specialist. Please allow up to 2 weeks processing time as we have many files to review.
4. Once your eligibility for services is approved, you will receive instructions to schedule an intake appointment. This can be done any time after your eligibility is approved. If you live in the area or will be visiting the campus, we would strongly recommend you to set up this meeting before arriving on campus to begin classes.
At the intake appointment you will discuss:
- Accommodations and services
- Placement Testing
- Campus and local resources
- SDS policies and procedures
- Student responsibilities
Students are welcome to meet with SDS staff members by appointment for questions or concerns year-round. We are here to assist you and will provide resources or information to help you achieve your academic goals.
SHADY GROVE CAMPUS STUDENTS
*Students that need accommodations at UMBC-Shady Grove campus may have different procedures please click on Registering for Accommodations at Shady Grove if this applies to you.
If you have any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to contact Student Disability Services. We look forward to working with you.